Prisons are something that need deeper thinking of its need and value. I’ve thought many times about prisons and how it should be and how to deal with prisoners and what is its ultimate purpose?
Prison is not always physical, sometimes, it can be psychic for some people who are prisoned inside and idea or way of thinking.
There are many angles to look at prisons from and we will try to talk about few of them here
- Some of us will see the prison as the place we use to get rid off the bad people who make our life harder. George Carlin once talked about prisons in his amazing way of speaking and he -as always- was funny and logical in the same time 🙂
From that point of view, Prisons are mere a fenced place to keep some people within its fence for a while. And that angle of view is very shallow and deliver nothing good.
- Others will say that prison is a place to punish some people for the problems they did in the society. So, prisons must be harsh and have difficulties in usual needs in life. That’s because of the criminals who commit crimes. Criminals committed crimes so they must be held in prisons and get punished for what they did. We can’t make prisons entertaining for the prisoners. There are many free people living in an enormous struggle for food. So, we can’t let free people who did nothing bad struggle living because they are homeless or poor and give criminals a roof and food.
Life in prison won’t differ a lot from what you will watch in this video
- There are other types of prisons where prisoners are tortured constantly for information or to please the warden. There are the politic prisons for the people who speak harmful politics from the opinions of the government. This kind of prisons shouldn’t exist at all. Expressing a thought should never be a crime and must be replied with another thought.
I have my own view of prisons and I say prisons must have an ultimate purpose that is beneficial to society.
- Bad people and criminals will always exist and we have to come with a way to minimize their numbers. So, there are two kinds of criminals, the ones we caught and the ones we didn’t. So, it would be great to make a change to the ones we have in custody.
- The ones we have in custody are already living in the prisons. So, life in prisons should be the kind that change people for the sake of the whole society. Millions already live in prisons and it’s not about making their life hard or unfavourable, it’s about changing their thoughts and hearts to make them better persons who won’t commit crimes again. So, we should change the way we run prisons.
- If we are going to collect criminals and put them together is a prison without any trials to correct their faulty thoughts and never trying to teach them to live peacefully, prisoners will get out just exactly as they get in. We will be keeping them away for a while then send them back to commit more crimes with one difference, we gave them more experience in escaping from pursuits and new ways to commit crimes from their companions inside prisons. 🙂
- Life in prison now is a great way to learn to be a criminal 🙂 when it should learn criminals to live peacefully within society without committing anymore crimes.
- Some countries in Europe are actually aware about that and the prison they built make the life in prison more beneficial to the society. They have libraries and many activities to take criminals in and let good persons out. Life in prison should change criminals to be better people who can do good things in life after getting out.
- Personally, I think crimes within prison fences are more than outside the fence 🙁
- I remember a movie for Denzel Washington which he felt freedom when he got in prison 🙂
What do you think? Should it stay the same? Or should we teach prisoners to be good persons?